Thursday, June 22, 2006

Cone Cup by Aunt Kiki

Last Friday I ventured to the island to spend the weekend with Elyse and Sydney. In the weeks since I had last seen Sydney she had grown from calling me Kiki, to calling me by my full first name, Kendrah. (Yes, she's a genius). She was sporting a runny nose, a hellacious cough and the worst slept-deprived attitude EVER! On the second day, after a full night sleep and a long nap, Sydney was back to her old self- giggling, mischievous and clogging around in her best high heels (mind you, the heels were solely accompanied by an Elmo diaper).

Later that night, after dinner, Elyse offered Sydney a scoop of ice cream on a cone. Having never experienced such a thing- Sydney, in a bliss of ignorance, licked away at the fruity, white ice cream. I watched her slurp and drool until her tongue and lips could no longer reach the yummy at the bottom on the cone. She smashed the cone against her face a time or two in an effort to reach more of the sweet treat, but to no avail. I told her, "Take a bite, bite the cone." She looked at me perplexed. I was asking her to bite the bowl, the cup- she couldn't possibly do that! I took the cone from her and nibbled a small bite. "See, it's a cookie. Take a bite of the cookie." I handed the cone back to her and she stared at it for a minute, looking down into the pit of the crispy little cup. Hmmm.

She did take a bite. A small, petite, baby bite. She chewed, swallowed and then turned to me with a look of utter fascination. She couldn't believe it! A cookie and ice cream, all in one! Needless to say the cone disappeared in 3 shakes of a lambs tail, leaving only a mustache of ice cream behind. I wish you could have seen her face. I wish you could have witnessed that small moment of discovery. I felt so honored. I had offered up to her one of the most fabulous discoveries ever in childhood- the ice cream cone. I will never look at a wafer, waffle or sugar cone quite the same again.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarafu said...

AHHHHH! I Love that about children! Watching them experience things for the first time makes you appreciate things in life so much more. We forget how blissfull the simple things in life can be until we see them through the eyes of a child.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Kiki said...

I just wanted to squueze her when she looked at me. Her eyes got huge and she was so happy. I love me some Syd Sue!

9:40 PM  
Blogger jenn256 said...

and just think, she can always say that she was introduced to her first ice cream cone by her Aunt Kiki, and I would let her keep the pet name for you, it will be something only you and her share forever. She may meet other Kendrah's in her life, but there will never be another Aunt Kiki.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Kiki said...

Ah, sweet! She's calling me both. I love it when it comes out in rapid succession "Kikikikiki." So funny! She only repeats Kendrah when Elyse says it. Most of the time Elyse refers to me as Aunt Kiki in front of Sydney, but she doesn't usually call me that.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Good luck on your exams Beese, I know you'll pass with flying colors!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Kendrah, if you're not already, you should become a writer. You're very gifted at it. You're posts are like reading a book.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Kiki said...

Thanks Daniel. I am a writer actually. I am working on some stuff. I just love writing about kids.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home