Monday, April 10, 2006

Sleep, sweet sleep.

My Mom told me, when I was born, that if someone had offered her a brand new Mercedes or a full night of sleep, she would have taken the sleep. A mom with children of any age can relate to this, don't you think? If it's not newborn wakefulness, it's teething, colds, hunger, growth spurts, or just a mad hankering to watch Teletubbies at 2:13am. Then when that passes, I'm sure it's "Mom, I wet the bed...I need a cookie, a drink of water, why do you and Dad get to stay up?" Pretty soon, you think you're in the clear and you find yourself anxiously waiting for your high school aged child to arrive safely at home after a party or dance. I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel....and I'm so tired!!!

Sometimes I just lose it. I have been fairly able to sacrifice just about anything for my precious Sydney. I have even left the house without makeup a time or two. But I miss my sleep. I fantasize about what it would be like to sleep until 10 am, or wake up when I want to. I've had visions of fluffy white beds surrounded by billowing scarves, gently blowing in a soft beachy breeze. And horror of all horrors, I've caught myself getting excited about all the sleeping in I'll get to do when Derek and I go on a honeymoon. It's getting out of hand.

Of course, I'm exaggerating. There have been more and more uninterrupted nights of bliss. But it's that tiny fear niggling in the back of my mind each night, mocking me, saying "Don't get too comfortable!" That is what I can't wait to be free from!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kiki said...

And kids can sleep anywhere, in the car, in the stroller, on your shoulder. They can fall asleep during a carnival or during a concert. Just sleep, sleep, sleep! Darn kiddies.

Beese, I'll take Syd for a day or 2 when you get home, and you can sleep all the live long day!

10:55 AM  
Blogger jenn256 said...

yes, it annoys me a little that that my daughter has actually fallen asleep during firworks shows, and I can't seem to get enough sleep every night to funtion properly for the first hour or so in the morning.

Giana went through a phase of not sleeping great while teething and then was seleeping until almost 7:30 in the morning- until recently :( Now it is usually 6:15 or 6:30, except for this morning when she got up at 5:10AM!! I wish I could explain to her that the more she sleeps and lets mom sleep the better mom I feel like I am.

And as far as your honeymoon goes, my husband and I pretty much slept our entire first day and we didn't even have kids yet. I think you should totally go for it!! Where are you going?

4:52 AM  
Blogger Starbucks Mom said...

We don't know. We don't even know when we're getting married yet. I think we'll just elope and then have a huge party at home. Girlscout can attest to the fact that the party is what everyone at home really cares about!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Kiki said...

Party party party, that;s what we island kid do best. Did you get Sydie a dressie for Beeg and Glo's nuptials?

9:20 AM  
Blogger Sarafu said...

AHHHH! A honeymoon!!!! That sounds SOOO relaxing! I want to go on another one, this time I think I could REALLY appreciate the relaxation, seclusion and the SLEEP!!! I had no idea what tired was until I had children. I remember after Aher was born watching an episode of FRIENDS where Chandler and Joey were getting into bed and I remember getting So mad and jealous because I wanted to sleep. They looked SO comfortable!!!! IT sounds silly now! When I was in college it seemed like sleep wasnt necasarry and I never seemed to sleep or get tired. How is that??
Man, how things change!!!
Congats on getting married!!!! The party is the best part of the nuptials, I have to agree!!!!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sarafu said...

Bye the way, CUTE PICTURE of Sydney!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home