Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Lessons From Baby Maddy

Let today be know as "The Day That Sealed The Deal." I am not ready to have another child. Not that there was any doubt in my mind.

When my friend Kelsey asked me to watch Baby Maddy, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I'm a smart girl. Organized, prepared for a variety of situations, skilled at making lemonade from lemons. Or so I thought. Enter Maddy.

Last night I lay in bed wondering what today would bring. I let my mind wander, envisioning a sweetly calm day. Baby Maddy would arrive, Sydney would get excited and pat her lovingly on the head. We would spend the next couple hours entertaining Maddy in the living room, making faces, smiling, cooing....all those baby-friendly gestures. Then, as we bade Maddy farewell, Sydney would pucker her rosy pink lips and kiss Maddy a delicate goodbye. It was all so soft and pink in my head, and I convienently ingnored those pesky dark thoughts tugging at my concious saying, " What if Sydney pokes her in the eye, or feeds her a raisin?" No, that would not happen.
So as you clairvoyant, realistic people probably can predict, I was sooooooooo not ready to be acquainted with the mini-muffin smashing, coffee table climbing, pacifier stealing imp that my beloved Sydney became. How did I not see this coming?
As soon as I scooped Maddy out of her baby carrier Sydney was on the move. Having taken stock of the situation, noting the convienent fact that my arms were full and therefore useless, she scaled the TV table and dropped swiftly down into the "Land of cords and choking hazards." This was going to be interesting. Next on the agenda: Operation Pacifier Extraction. Sydney spent a good half hour trying to (in her "sneaky" 18 month old way) make Maddy's pacifier her own. The operation was thwarted when Baby Maddy had a poo explosion, startling Sydney, who watched with great awe as a changed Maddy's teeny weeny diaper. The day wasn't a total bust. Sydney was very interested in giving Maddy copious amounts of kisses, usually follwed by a curious finger up the nose, but kisses nonetheless.
Eventually my sister showed up and packed Syd off to the grocery store with the promise of Gummy Lifesavers to be had. I plopped myself into a chair and surfed channels, half watching, half remembering why I'm glad that I just have Sydney. My devilish, darling, bundle of crumbs and goo. She's the best.
Besides, babies are boring.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kiki said...

I love Sydney and all her mini-muffin-ness.

3:14 PM  
Blogger jenn256 said...

great story! It's Jenn from Kendrah's blog, and the fact that you started a blog about mom's really intrigued me. I am a few years older than you, but I totally relate to your thoughts about "young moms" or "play date moms"- neither of which I am. I am however a stay-at-home mom with a 2 year old daughter, and your story had me cracking up, and I think a story only a mom of a toddler can truley appreciate. Not to belittle others or leave anyone out, but I have SOOOOO had the days where I say, "That's it, we are having one child!!" And they seem to come fairly often. I will type another time about a similar situation where I was baby sitting a friends 2 1/2 year old and my daughter, and he locked himself in his room (laughing the whole time through the door mind you), then proceeded to climb into his crib and was too scared and unable to climb back out to unlock the door. Doesn't that sort of thing happen when you are babysitting at 16 and not a mom yourself?

Hope you don't mind, but I think I will check in and read your posts. I could use some humor from another mom with a toddler daughter. We all need to stick together to avoid pulling our hair out!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Starbucks Mom said...

Jenn...
That is sooooo a toddler thing to do. I can just picture this scared little kid cowering in his crib. The other night Sydney was mad that we put her to bed so she flung herslef headfirst out of her crib without a second thought. It was scary...then funny!

10:06 AM  
Blogger jenn256 said...

Gotta love those temper tantrums. makes you wonder if we were ever like that, and if so how we (and our parents) ever survived!!

A friend of mine said that she read somewhere that the hardest thing a parent can do in the first 3 years of a child's life is keep them alive. Funny but true. I kind of chuckle at that thought quite often after Giana falls trying to do things her "self" as she always tells me. Or when I hear stories like Sydney's of falling on her head! I hope she was okay, and just think- maybe it scared her enough to not try that again!!! :)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Sarafu said...

LOL!!!! girlscout directed me here and what a great blog!!! You just got a sneak preview of what it is like with 2!! I have a 3 year old and a 3 month old. I tried to watch another little boy when my son was about 20 months and needless to say that didnt last very long. You just took me back to those exhausting insane days! It definitlly cemented our decision to wait a while to have our second. Luckily its a bit easier to have two of my own and now that Jack is older he is a bit more managable.
Great blog!

10:30 AM  
Blogger jenn256 said...

yeah, we have 4 babies in here so far right? Sydney, Giana, Jack and Asher (I LOVE all of those names by the way!!!) We are deveolping quite the cyberspace playgroup!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Kiki said...

Seriously, you have 2 Alias names in here! Jack and Syd. Cute!

2:37 AM  
Blogger Sarafu said...

LOL! Cyperspace playgroup!!! Thats Great! We're missing a Vaughn....someone should start working on that!! LOL!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Kiki said...

Oh, me, the single one, I will get on it. I have already claimed the name Lila Vaughn, so.. we'll see if I can get on that.

10:28 PM  
Blogger jenn256 said...

it won't be me!! As mentioned previously I'm done with babies for a while. I'm not even ready to get a pet! Unless we count my daughter's fish. I can always rename one of them Vaughn!!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Sarafu said...

C'Mon Girlscout, get crackin! :)
I Love That Name!!!! Maybe I'll steal it! j/k
We plan to have a third but not for a while. I'm just going to pick out boys names because I'm not sure that my husband produces girls!

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home